Friday, February 27, 2009

Introduction to Lives

Since January, I've officially changed careers and became a professional writer. I did this with several goals in mind, namely to finally start, and complete a novel. I've had many ideas over the years, and have started many novels (how many writers haven't, lol), but this year I decided to start with a fresh idea, outline the story, complete writing it, and self-publish it before year's end. My goals are:
1. First draft by June 1st
2. Polished, printable draft by August 15th (allowing a little over a week per chapter)
3. Stock ready to sell by September 15th
4. Release / shipping date of October 1st.
So far, I am ahead of schedule on the writing, and have my ducks in a row for the other goals as well.
So what's the story about? Well, let's talk about how I chose the idea first...
Since I've had a hard time completing novels in the past, and yet I've written dozens of short stories, I decided to take what I know about short stories and expand that into the novel format. Writing "long" shot stories wasn't something I wanted to do, and I didn't want to do a compilation, either, since that's not really a novel now is it?
So, I came up with a hook (which you'll have to read the finished work to have revealed) that allows me to write 9 longer stories (about 10,000-12,000 words a piece, or about 20 single-spaced pages in MS Word) that add up to one long story. The format is obviously 9 chapters, each of them on a specific character. My first challenge was to come up with characters that people would relate to. So, I first listed them, along with their prospective titles:
1. I Wish I had my Brother's Cool Car
2. From Prom Queen to Trucker Whore
3. A Jock's Life After High School
4. A Goth Hero's Tragic Fall
5. Being a Serial Killer is Over-rated
6. Why my mother said, "Pretty Girls Shouldn't Hitchhike"
7. Young Punk Mixed up in the Jailhouse Rock
8. An Orderly Named Barry
9. Let's all Give the Doc a Mighty Hand
While I have finished the 1st draft on 4 of these (1, 2, 4, and 9), I am still not set in stone on the titles, nor am I set in stone on the characters, either. One of the things I've been pleased to discover is that my imagination has given me some great details to work with. I'll start out with an idea and by the time the week is over, the character will not only sound better than I had anticipated, it will also touch off some additional ideas to put in the finished product. The hook gets stronger with each story, and each story discovers additional threads to weave itself to the previously written stories. I realize this will give me alot to clean up in the re-write process this summer, but I am confident the reader will have a better value as a result.
One last note: I am writing this novel as an exercise in getting readers to relate to my characters. I write a few hundred pages a year in journal entries, so actually completing the 200 or so of this novel isn't that large of a milestone for me. The fact is, it is alot easier to write when you don't have to think of a market who will read it. So, my hypothesis is this: if I can create characters that people like, that keeps them reading until the end, then I can absolutely make a living doing this:)
-JJ McMoon
2/27/09

No comments:

Post a Comment